See Also: All Jobs at E&GJ Press
To help us keep up with the positive response to Spark and process submissions in a timely manner, we maintain a staff of volunteer readers to review and take notes on submitted manuscripts. The Submission Screener helps to “triage” submissions as they arrive so we can efficiently direct them to the appropriate staff readers. This is an unpaid, volunteer position (as is Editor-in-Chief), but it may be listed on your resume/C.V. In many cases, this volunteer position also qualifies for college internship credit.
The Submission Screener reports to our Editor-in-Chief, Brian Lewis, and collaborates with Writer Liaison George Wells.
- Must have regular access to the Internet; preferably broadband.
- Must have regular access to e-mail, and check it at least once per day.
- Must be available for self-directed work at least 5-10 hours per week.
- Must be willing to accept Non-Disclosure Agreement and abide by U.S. and International copyright laws.
These are not required, but candidates who have these skills will be selected over those who do not.
- Previous experience on the staff of any publication
- Previous experience with Submittable submission manager
- Categorize, label, and assign submissions based on submission form data.
- Optionally carry out the voting responsibilities of Staff Reader as time allows.
Once your application is reviewed and provisionally approved, we will schedule an online training meeting using a live demo of our submission manager—with actual submissions in our queue. You’ll learn quickly through hands-on practice and receive ongoing feedback. We’ll also provide a “Getting Started” document and you’ll have round-the-clock access to several senior staff members for mentoring and to ask questions. During the initial two-week period as a new staff member, you’ll have an opportunity to make sure we’re a good fit for you, and we’ll be able to see that you’re a good fit for us, too.
Because all tasks are completed online, there are no location requirements. We have staff members around the world, and we welcome international applicants.
This position is open to student interns and non-intern volunteers. The following addendum applies to student interns:
Student interns will have an opportunity to participate in the layout and proofreading of the publication assembled during the internship. We publish at least one each quarter. Opportunities in other volunteer roles exist. Because we are a non-profit and this is an unpaid internship, we have the flexibility to tailor the role to fit each student’s interests and academic needs.
Fill out the form below or send an email to jobs@EGJPress.org and tell us, in 300 words or fewer, why you would make an excellent addition to our staff. When emailing, you may optionally attach a resume/C.V.